Vero Beach, FL - Tuesday, June 25th, 2002: Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., today announced the release of Fix Up 4D (FU4D) v1.0.0 for Macintosh and Windows. FU4D is a set of 4D extensions which enhance, improve, and correct the 4th Dimension development and runtime environment. 4D extensions allow for the actual 4D environment to be patched, repaired, and improved. FU4D provides a comprehensive basis of individual improvements to the 4D environment which all 4D developers can take advantage of immediately.
The documents included in the FU4D package all work independently of each other and there is no requirement that any combination of them be used at any time. This makes it simple for the developer to choose which improvements in particular benefit development and only install the 4D extension documents in FU4D package which are most useful.
Installing the FU4D package is exceedingly simple. Just drag the items in the 4D Extensions folder within the FU4D archive into the 4D Extensions folder next to your current 4D application. Do not replace the 4D Extensions folder, only add the items in the FU4D archive to the items already in your existing 4D Extensions folder. If you are using any previous versions of the FU4D package, remove those items from your 4D Extensions folder. FU4D works with both 4th Dimension and 4D Client, as long as the FU4D documents are in the 4D Extensions folder next to the currently running 4D based application.
You can learn more about FU4D and download the free software directly on the Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., web site at:
Developers Everywhere are Talking
The ability to see your entire method name in the Explorer is reason enough to use this tool. Like the other quality programmer tools, you're going to wonder how you worked without it. We've asked 4D for these features year after year, and Deep Sky has delivered for us.
Justin Leavens, email@example.com
June 21st, 2002
And it ain't even April 1st...
Steve Hussey, firstname.lastname@example.org
Editor, Dimensions Magazine
June 22nd, 2002
I love it!
FIND: The ability to call the main Find window by keypress, plus to be able to sort the resulting "found" window (and close it by keypress) are *very* welcome! For me, the only remaining "missing" bit is a way to bring to the front a "found" window that has been covered by another window.
EXPLORER WINDOW: At last!!! The ability to completely see a full length method name, instead of having to guess. The splitter is a *very* welcome addition. I wonder if there is any way to get 4D to remember the width set? (what do you mean "they're never satisfied!" ;-)
Keyboard access to the Database Structure window is a nice touch also.
FU4D solves some niggly shortcomings that have existed in the Design enviroment for many years. I hope there are more gems like these up your sleeves...
Keith Goebel, email@example.com
June 22nd, 2002
This extension will save tons of time for me every day! When I saw how it was written in 4D and how quick he did it, I was wondering why 4DInc wouldn't make this more well known or release extensions that enhance the developer experience. Everybody who uses 4D, should also get FU4D.
Michael Ginsberg, firstname.lastname@example.org
President, MDG Computer Services, Inc.
June 21st, 2002
Features in the FU4D extensions
The different documents in the FU4D package allow the developer to individually choose what functionality is to be improved in the 4D environment. The following is a listing of all of the documents in the FU4D package and the enhancements that each provides to the 4D environment:
- Vertical splitter has been added next to hierarchical listing;
- Object method added to twiddle to allow for proper resizing of collapsing form with respect to the new splitter;
- Enterable area has been widened to more easily accommodate longer search strings; the wrapping of longer search strings now occurs at approximately 40 characters instead of the default 25 characters;
- Form has been widened to accommodate widened enterable area;
- Popup selection defaults to All when form opens; this is obviously the most used option in the Find form;
- Previous search string is selected when form opens; no more need to select the previous search results by selecting the text, instead developer can just start typing to replace the selected search string;
- Get Frontmost Window Name button added just to the left of the enterable area; this puts the name of the current frontmost window into the enterable search area; great for doing searches throughout structure when currently editting a method or form;
- Sort button added to top of form allows search results to be sorted; the sorting of the search results is done alphabetically from the result names found;
- Command-W is no longer the default Flush Buffers catch; it is now Command-' ;
- Method Properties... menu item is available with Command-; keyboard equivalent;
- Form Properties... menu item is available with Command-; keyboard equivalent;
- Find... menu item is available with Command-I keyboard equivalent;
- NOTE: on Windows, all command key equivalents are available as Control key equivalents.
Pricing and Availability
The FU4D package is available for free to all 4D developers worldwide. There is no development or deployment costs or licenses of any kind with this software package.
The FU4D package can be downloaded by following the Downloads link on the Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., web site, located at:
The FU4D package, in its current state, has not been tested for compatibility with 4D v6.8.x. Full compatibility has been tested only with 4D v6.7.x. It is recommended at this time that FU4D be used only with 4D v6.7.x.
In the near future, Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., will release a 4D v6.8.x compatible version of the FU4D package.
About Deep Sky Technologies, Inc.
Based in Vero Beach, Florida, Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., provides software development, consulting, hosting, and colocation services. Founded in 1997, Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., develops and supports a wide variety of software development tools and services to aid in the creation of custom applications and web sites for the Macintosh and Windows platform. For more information, please visit our home page at http://www.deepskytech.com/.
For more information contact:
Steven G. Willis
President, Deep Sky Technologies, Inc.
You can also join the Deep Sky Technologies, Inc., announcement mailing list. Subscriptions can be placed online at:
All trade names referenced in this document are the trademark or registered trademark of their respective holder.
4th Dimension, ACI, ACI US, 4D Compiler, 4D, 4D Server, 4D Client, and 4D Insider are trademarks of 4D, Inc.
Macintosh and MacOS are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
Windows is a trademark of Microsoft Corporation.